Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Simon and Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits
Review by Sarah Yanuck, March 7, 2008

Simon and Garfunkel’ Greatest Hits is a wonderful collection of songs that range from happy to sad, upbeat to slow and calming. Their music, mostly written by Paul Simon has beautiful, poetic lyrics which are amazing even standing alone. And their melodies are the same way, flowing and interesting. No two songs are the same, each has its own character and rhythm. And yet all of their music has a certain similarity, a flavor of Paul Simon’s that is wonderful.

When I was a baby, and I cried, my parents would turn on Simon and Garfunkel and I would stop crying. I don’t know what about the music I found so calming, but there is something about it which I love. It has a certain truth that not all music has.

Part of that truth is due to how unique their stlye of song-writing is, which kinds of melodies, chords, patterns and rhythms they choose. But though that style of songwritng is what gives their music much of its wonder, I think that most of the truth comes from the lyrics. They give simple statements that seem to capture all of life, or all of a moment. And I, as a listener, can relate to it. In the song, Sound of Silence, near the end, they sing, “and the sign said the words of the prophets are written on the subway wall…” the message is simple, clear and rings very true: the ordinary people are the incredible ones.

The order of the songs on the CD has a nice flow to it. They do a good job of inter-mingling slow songs with upbeat ones, and happy with slow. The album has a definate completeness, because their songs have so much variety.

I highly recommend this CD, I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Simon and Garfunkel are some of my faves.



No comments: