Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Great Big Sea

When I say "world music", what do you think of? Until last Friday, the first thing that popped into my mind was a musical recreation of activities enacted in the stereotypical African wilderness (drum circles around a blazing fire, dancing men in painted masks, chanting in a language foreign to my ears). But after talking with a teacher and reading an article she gave me, I realized there was more to it. World music is any type of music, indigenous to a certain area or people. Realizing my mistake, I just now remembered that my parents' favorite band, whom I listen to sometimes also, is a world music band.
Made up of three male members, all born in Newfoundland and Labrador, (there was a fourth, but he left in 2003 to spend more time with his family), Great Big Sea is a Canadian folk-rock band formed in 1993, who, aside from performing their own original material, perform rock interpretations of Newfoundland folk songs (drawing from the island's English, French, and Irish heritage), especially sea shanties.
My parents have all their CDs, one of their DVDs, and even some of their cassette tapes, so I grew up listening to their music. It's really grown on me. I know almost all their songs. It was very hard to choose an album to review, but I chose "Road Rage" (a live album). Most (but not all) of their songs are upbeat and fast-paced. That's one thing I love about them. If you're ever in the mood for something along those lines, you can always find a song to listen to in their plethora of recordings. Even if you don't want a fast song, this is one of those bands (and albums) that you can most likely find at least one song you'll like. I've decided to use one of my favorites as an example (and even though it's not necessarily fast-paced, it is an example of their re-interpreting of old folk songs from the island): "The Chemical Worker's Song (Process Man)".

No comments: